Re: [Xen-users] VGA PASSTHROUGH not working :(

On Friday, May 27, 2016 2:38 PM, Jason Long <hack3rcon@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Oops. My Motherboard is :
>
> Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
> Product Name: Z68XP-UD3R
>
> It is so odd that Corei7 Can't support it.
>
> Processor Information
> Socket Designation: Socket 1155
> Type: Central Processor
> Family: Other
> Manufacturer: Intel
> ID: A7 06 02 00 FF FB EB BF
> Version: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU
> Voltage: 1.0 V
> External Clock: 100 MHz
> Max Speed: 4000 MHz
> Current Speed: 3500 MHz
> Upgrade: Socket 478
> L1 Cache Handle: 0x000A
> L2 Cache Handle: 0x000B
> L3 Cache Handle: Not Provided
> Serial Number:
> Asset Tag:
> Part Number:
>

> On Friday, May 27, 2016 2:17 PM, Carl Schneider
> <carl.schneider+mailinglists@xxxxxx> wrote:
>

> On 05/27/2016 11:17 AM, Jason Long wrote:
>> My Dom0 is Fedora 23 Server and my "/etc/default/grub" is :
>>
>> GRUB_TIMEOUT=5
>> GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR="$(sed 's, release .*$,,g' /etc/system-release)"
>> GRUB_DEFAULT=saved
>> GRUB_DISABLE_SUBMENU=true
>> GRUB_TERMINAL_OUTPUT="console"
>> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="rd.lvm.lv=fedora/root00 rd.lvm.lv=fedora/swap rhgb
>> quiet xen-pciback.hide=(01:00.0)"
>> GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY="true"
>>
>> and I added below lines to my Windows vm config file :
>>
>> acpi=1
>> pci=['01:00.0']
>>
>> But
>>
>> [root@localhost <mailto:root@localhost> ~]# xl create /etc/xen/windows.cfg
>> Parsing config from /etc/xen/windows.cfg
>> libxl: error: libxl_pci.c:1089:libxl__device_pci_add: PCI device
>> 0000:01:00.0 cannot be assigned - no IOMMU?
>> libxl: error: libxl_create.c:1405:domcreate_attach_pci:
>> libxl_device_pci_add failed: -1
>> libxl: info: libxl.c:1698:devices_destroy_cb: forked pid 2282 for
>> destroy of domain 1
>>
>> As you see, I got error.
>>
>> # lspci
>> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GT218 [GeForce
>> 210] (rev a2)
>

> Hi, sorry that I was not able to answer earlier.
>
> You said that your CPU is the i7 2600K and posted this link to the Ark:
> http://ark.intel.com/products/52214/Intel-Core-i7-2600K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-3_80-GHz
>
> It clearly states that it has no VT-d, thus you are not able to activate
> the IOMMU because there is no IOMMU. Your steps were all more or less
> the correct way to activate it, but your hardware does sadly not support
>
> ist.
>

> The point is that Intel normally deactivates VT-d for the -k-versions.
> If you compare it to the i7-2600
> (http://ark.intel.com/de/products/52213/Intel-Core-i7-2600-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-3_80-GHz),
> you see that this CPU would support it.
>
> Please note that your Chipset/Motherboard/BIOS needs to support
> [...]

First: Your motherboard uses the z68 chip set. If you check the intel
ark about it ( http://ark.intel.com/de/products/52816/Intel-BD82Z68-PCH
), you will notice that the chipset does not support VT-d either.

Second: The CPU flags are fine, it supports VT-x, which is a basic
virtualization extension. VT-d is something different. I do not know
whether VT-d has a dedicated CPU flag, but I'd say it does not. Also
note that the flag-detection _may_ be error-prone, so I'd rely on the
official data sheets from Intel.

If you want to get GPU pass-through working, I'd recommend you getting a
different motherboard and CPU which support VT-d (check BOTH chip set
and CPU, else it is not worth the effort). With the current (Gigabyte
motherboard and i7-2600k) hardware, it is impossible to do anything like
GPU pass-through.

But you also sent a mail where you posted the lscpu output of an
i7-4770. If you check that ark (
http://ark.intel.com/de/products/75122/Intel-Core-i7-4770-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-3_90-GHz
), you can see that it supports VT-d. If you possess a motherboard for
that CPU, whose chipset also allows VT-d, you could try it with that
hardware.

But please, you should have send these mails in one, not in four mails.
It is pretty annoying, especially since I receive mails on the mailing
list and from the CC. Another way of sending these output in one mail
would be as an attachment. Also, please consider to stop top-posting!

Cheers
CRT