Re: [Xen-users] Xen Continuously Reboot, Solved

> Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2016 22:52:11 -0500
> From: Ray <ray@xxxxxxxxx>
> To: "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen Continuously Reboot
>

> > Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2016 10:37:05 -0700
> > From: "russo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <russo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen Continuously Reboot
> >
> > GRUB_CMDLINE_XEN="dom0_mem=1024M,max=1024M" I would leave this out until
> > you feel you really need it. Set everything for the guests in the guest
> > config file.
> >
> > I am not sure why you are having issues. This is what I do when installing.
> >
> > Xen server,
> > Xen tools.
> > Bridge tools if they are not already installed.
> > iptables
> > ebtables
> >
> > Done. --- for the most part anyway.
> >

> > Follow the xen-tools recommendation. It should all work with no errors.
> >
> > Mike
> >
> OK, I have reinstalled stretch with legacy boot. I have wireless working and installed bridge tools. I have not done >anything with the display except to use high power reading glasses. I am concerned with the order to install these items >so I don't go to reinstall #27 before necessary. I am going to have to install Xen from the host OS. So should I install Xen >then reorder the boot menu, boot and then install the rest? Is there a particular order to install and configure the other >components? I have found the bridge utilities doesn't work with a wireless connection. I was able to run wireless but >when I installed a simple bridge, it failed. It looks like I need to build a virtual bridge. To build this, there is a >command:virshwhich looks like it comes from libvirt. Do I need to install libvirt-bin or does this come with Xen or does it >need to be installed after Xen is installed? This comes from:https://jamielinux.com/docs/libvirt-networking->handbook/custom-nat-based-network.htmlandhttps://jamielinux.com/docs/libvirt-networking-handbook/appendix/nat->virtual-bridge-on-debian.html Using the virtual bridge, it looks like ebtables is not used. Is there something I am missing? >Ray

The 6/13/2016 stretch CD amd64 was downloaded, written to USB thumb drive via Rufus on Windows selecting the GPT and UEFI boot.  The host laptop was set for compatibility mode (non UEFI).  The laptop was booted up on the stick.  The splash screen was very readible at something that looked like 800x600 with no selection on my part.  (Doing this with a UEFI boot produced the maximum screen resolution which was almost unreadably small.)

Network interfaces was simply setup to run loopback and wireless as dhcp.

apt-get install xen-linux-system-amd64

Completed with only a couple warnings.

Boot sequence was rearranged with
dpkg-divert --rename --remove /etc/grub.d/20_linux_xen
On reboot, Xen was the first entry.  Allowing it to time out, the login came up.

The system responded to
xl

The system errored on
virsh
with not recognized command.

So Xen is now working.

First challenge:
On closing the lid on the laptop, the machine would not wake up.  After power cycling, the system would boot and provided a login screen.

The sleep mode is turned off in the BIOS.  While the system under stretch only would report errors about Bluetooth on closing the lid, it never hung.  It seems like something is stopping the machine when the lid is closed.

Thanks for all the help, and it looks like I need more.