Re: [Xen-users] Spontaneous reboots stock Xen 4.4 on Debian Jessie

On Tue, Jul 5, 2016 at 3:53 AM, Jan Bakuwel <jan.bakuwel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi George,
>
> On 05/07/16 00:00, George Dunlap wrote:
>> On Sun, Jul 3, 2016 at 10:37 PM, Jan Bakuwel <jan.bakuwel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>> I have two Dell T420's, 32GB, RAID6 array, running an up-to-date Debian
>>> Jessie stock with stock drbd, lvm and Xen (4.4) running a number of
>>> Windows and Linux guest VMs. Everything works fine ... until the server
>>> spontaneously reboots. Nothing in the xen logs, nor in syslog, as if
>>> someone pressed the reset button.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions where I should start digging?
>> Have you got a serial console hooked up?
>>
>> http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_Serial_Console
>
> I have remote access to the console as the server has a management
> interface (iDRAC).
>
>> For these kinds of reboots, catching it in the act is usually the only
>> way to figure out what was going on; and having the output of a serial
>> console is the most reliable way to catch the output as it died.
>
> That's the difficult part as initially it's all running smoothly.
> Wouldn't anything on the console not also end up in a log file though?

In case of a spontaneous reboot, almost never. A reboot only happens
when some drastic unrecoverable error occurs; and in that case,
there's never enough time to actually write out the data to disk.

If you have Xen and Linux both set up to log console output to the
iDRAC interface, then what you need to do is connect to the interface
remotely and log the output to a file.  The next time it crashes, you
should (hopefully) have something useful in the log.

 -George