Re: [Xen-users] GPLPV defunct?

On Jul 20, 2016 9:59 AM, "chris" <tknchris@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The thing that has me kind of puzzled is that how does one of the oldest virtualization platforms not have deployment ready (packaged) and signed windows pv drivers?

It's quite simple: you get what you pay for.

I would wager that the majority of people working on Xen primarily use Linux or some sort of BSD.  So they have no motivation to get Windows working beyond 'at all'.

Citrix XenServer has signed drivers, but they only work with XenServer.

Getting signed drivers is not free, and for Win10 it's not even cheap. You need an EV certificate, and unless you have a $50k HSM, your private key is stored in a physical token where you need to type in a password every time you sign code.

Now, I am actually working on a setup that will allow me to publish validated drivers for Windows;  I need a server OS to run the certification tests, however. Hopefully,  BizSpark approves my application,  which will get me the MSDN server licenses I need to proceed.