Re: [Xen-users] Does xen-fbfront on a DomU make use of a hardware GPU on Dom0?

Please don't drop xen-users from the Cc.

On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 07:00:42AM -0500, Jon Schewe wrote:
> On 8/10/16 3:12 AM, Roger Pau Monné wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 09, 2016 at 03:34:45PM -0700, Drew Sabelhaus wrote:
> >
> >> I'm running a paravirtualized ubuntu linux guest on top of an ubuntu Dom0.
> >> I have a graphics card installed in the machine, and since I know that VGA
> >> PCI passthrough is not supported for PV guests (
> >> http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/XenVGAPassthrough), I'm using the
> >> xen-fbfront module to get an X11 environment on my guest.
> >>
> >> If Xen can be coerced into using a hardware GPU for rendering for a
> >> framebuffer, how might I do that? (Please let me know if this question does
> >> not make sense, and I'll try to explain better.)
> > The easiest way probably is to turn your PV guest into a HVM guest (which
> > will also improve performance) and then try to do PCI-passthrough of a
> > graphics card, although I'm not expert on GFX passthrough, so others might
> > have better advice.
> HVM is faster than PV now? Can you point me at some numbers and
> documentation on this? I've been considering changing from PV VMs to
> HVM, but need good evidence to make it worth the time.

Here are a couple of pages that contain more information about PV vs HVM
(last one is a set of slides with performance numbers, although a little bit
outdated) :

https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Understanding_the_Virtualization_Spectrum
http://www.brendangregg.com/blog/2014-05-07/what-color-is-your-xen.html
http://www.slideshare.net/xen_com_mgr/linux-pv-on-hvm