Re: [Xen-users] Status of PVSCSI

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Jon Schewe <jschewe@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2016 10:47:15 -0500
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 11 Aug 2016 15:47:22 +0000

On 8/5/16 10:38 AM, Jon Schewe wrote:
> On 8/5/16 10:27 AM, Simon Hobson wrote:
>> Jon Schewe <jschewe@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm looking to move my backups into a VM and PVSCSI seems like the right
>>> way to get the tape library and drive visible to the VM.
>>> So what front end can I use pvscsi with?
>> Can you use PCI passthrough of the SCSI controller ?
>>
> I have considered that, however I have a couple of issues with it:
> 1) When I tested it, after shutting down the domU the dom0 couldn't
> attach to the SCSI controller again until I rebooted. Perhaps that was
> because I shutdown the domU before calling pci-detach.
>
> 2) I see that I need to detach the pci devices before save and restore.
> That will make things hard when rebooting the dom0 for updates. I
> usually just run "service xendomains stop" and then run the updates and
> reboot. This suspends the domUs and everything is fine on startup. If
> this process will automatically handle the detach and attach calls, then
> I may be able to use it.

Does anyone know if pci devices need to be explicitly detached before
shutdown or if xen will do the right thing on shutdown of the VM?

Also if I call "/etc/init.d/xendomains stop" and the VMs are saved, will
that do the right thing or will I need to manually detach pci devices
that are passed through?

> If I go down this path, would you recommend that I use HVM or PV?
Any thoughts on HVM vs. PV with pci passthrough?

--
Jon Schewe
Research Scientist