[Xen-users] Wrong version of xen-utils after building xen from source causes xen to exit with error

Hello,
I was able to build the latest version of xen (4.8) from source with
the following commands on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS:

./configure --enable-ovmf
make world
make install

After the install, it appeared that the xen.gz in my /boot dir was the
one I had just built, so I rebooted and chose the Ubuntu with Xen
Hypervisor option, and the boot appeared at first to be successful.
However, when I attempted to connect to Xen using virt-manager, I got
an error along the lines of "libxenlight state driver is not active".
The results of my search on this error led me to suspect that I didn't
have the proper version of xen-utils installed. Invoking xen from the
command line in an attempt to determine the xen version gave the
following error...

ERROR:  Can't find version 4.8 of xen utils, bailing out!

...which served to confirm my suspicions regarding xen-utils. But
wouldn't a source build of xen itself also build the utils? I notice
there's a "dist-tools" target: installing it with `make install
dist-tools' gives no error, but doesn't seem to fix the problem. So
I'm not sure whether the problem is that it's not being installed to a
location where xen will find it, or whether dist-tools is something
entirely different from the "xen-utils" package.

Incidentally, when I attempt to install the xen-utils package using
apt-get, I get dependency errors. Perhaps this is because the newer
version of xen I've installed from source is somehow conflicting with
the version the package manager wants to install (4.6)?

So I guess my question boil down to the following...
Does xen `make world' build what the package manager refers to as
"xen-utils"? If so, how do I install it in such a way that xen will
find it, rather than the older version installed by the package
manager. (I thought about using the package manager to uninstall all
xen-related packages, but this would remove a lot of libraries, and I
was afraid of breaking something else that could depend on some of
them.)

Is there a different way I should be going about this? The reason I'm
building xen from source is that I want to be able to insert print
statements in the code that loads bios/uefi firmware blobs (e.g.,
seabios, ovmf, etc...) to shed some light on the guest boot process...
If I had a way to set up debugging on the stock installation, I might
be able to dispense with the source build altogether, but I'm
relatively new to Xen, and have no idea what sort of debugging is
possible.

Thanks,
Brett S.