Re: [Xen-users] PV guests concurrent running limit

  • To: Andrey Schmiegelow <asw@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Sarah Newman <srn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2016 15:57:35 -0700
  • Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 06 Sep 2016 22:58:55 +0000
  • Dkim-filter: OpenDKIM Filter v2.10.3 mail.prgmr.com A920128C12D

On 09/06/2016 06:29 AM, Andrey Schmiegelow wrote:
> Hello everybody.
>
> After a lot of experiences with others kernels and it's parameters I found a
> workaround.
> Removing the parameter "console=XXX " from the kernel line a new PV guest
> deploys (beyond the others 50 PV guests already running with this parameter).
> Of course, after that I can't access this new guests through xl console
> command.
>
> Until now this problem seems to happen only with PV guests while I have no
> problems deploying more HVM guests.
>
> This workaround if fine for my current purpose, but it will be interesting
> understand why this happen.
>
> I will back if I have any news.
> Thank you for all you help me.

I believe that adding extra consoles will fail if the maximum number of open
files available to xenconsoled is too low. There might be a distribution
specific way to increase it. You can look in /proc/<pid>/limits for the current
value. That number can be adjusted dynamically with prlimit with a new
enough kernel, or you can increase the allowed amount in
/etc/security/limits.conf and restart xenconsoled.

To my best knowledge, the reason you're seeing a problem with PV and not HVM
domains is that (assuming you're not using stubdomains) qemu opens a pts
directly rather than going through xenconsoled.

--Sarah