Re: [Xen-users] Cannot make VGA Passthrough with Xen 4.4.1

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Manuel R. Campos" <manurcr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2016 08:37:26 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 20 Sep 2016 06:38:44 +0000

Hello again,

First, thanks for the explanation, Carls. I'm using the 0a:00.0 because is an Ethernet port, in case it works, I can see it, but if I bind the vga and it works, I wanna do something else in debian. It was just for test purpose. The vga PCI port is 00:02.0.

Even trying to do it in /etc/default/grub with xen-pciback.hide=(0a:00.0) xen-pciback.permissive and updating grub is not working and it doesn't appear in any dmesg in a working way. I mean, the line appears but does nothing.

For that reason I created a script which runs at the end of the boot in /etc/init.d/. Then I used "update-rc.d file defaults" and it works good with Ethernet ports. The second command of this script is "modprobe xen-pciback" and then, create the VM, make assignable the Ethernet ports and attach to it, as I said.

The GPU I try to pass is the internal one from this motherboard, being precise is: "Intel Corporation 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 06)"

In the config file from this kernel (4.1.21) is the default configuration made by the xen installation from repository. Some important options are:

CONFIG_XEN_PCIDEV_FRONTEND=m
CONFIG_XEN_BACKEND=y
CONFIG_XEN_PCIDEV_BACKEND=m

Because the grub option didn't work, I tried to make a hot plug with the vga graphic card but it wasn't successful.

Thanks in advance.

Am 19.09.2016 um 20:43 schrieb Peter Milesson:
> On 2016-09-19 20:05, Manuel R. Campos wrote:
>> Hello to everybody,
>>
>> I have in my system this Xen version, I decided to use the one from
>> repos. Right now I'm using a Debian 8 (Kernel 4.1.21) with an
>> i7-4700EQ (I can use Vt-d and is enabled by dmesg) with 16 GB of RAM.
>> Manuel R. Campos Roldán
>>
> Hi Manuel,
>
> Have you got a working IOMMU? If not, forget it.

Hi all,

@Milesson:
he already said that VT-d shows up in the dmesg - so that should be fine
(his CPU supports it, following
http://ark.intel.com/products/75469/Intel-Core-i7-4700EQ-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_40-GHz).

@Manuel:
It would be nice if you could provide your kernel parameters, if you try
to bind on pciback there. So, how do you bind the device on pciback?
What GPU do you try to pass through?

My Radeon HD 7870 is pretty dangerous to pass through, because if any
driver touched it before passing it through, it will force the whole
system down (even when I just reboot the VM), pretty much as you
described it. Thus I need to bind it as soon as possible to pciback.

For that, I use the kernel parameter xen-pciback.hide=(XX.YY.Z) (change
to your PCI-address), which I added to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX under
/etc/default/grub (location _may_ vary).

Also note that it might be needed that any sound card that the GPU may
provide needs to be passed through, too. This is because they are
grouped together into one IOMMU-Group. There is a kernel patch to change
that behavior, but it may not work and may improve unforeseen instablities.

By the way, why does the config state 0a:00.0, but your command 00:02.0?
It sound like you try to attach an integrated GPU with the command, and
shoot away your output with that? Maybe provide the output of `lspci`, too?

Cheers,
CRT