Re: [Xen-users] Internet access for host when hosting router/firewall guest

On 21 Sep 2016, at 01:34, T Coop (13ruce1337) <tagcoop@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> For the basics I’m running Debian (Stretch) on a NUC (NUC5PPYH) hosting with
> Xen 4.0.6-1amd64. The router guest is IPFire. I’m bridging the internal and
> USB NIC to the guest, which does NAT/DHCP. I’m having trouble with is the
> host is not able to access the internet. From what I’ve read when bridging,
> I’m not to give a static IP to the host. I’m trying to access the host via
> SSH as well. After much trial and failure I’m starting to think I need to
> create a virtual bridge from the guest to the host.

Short answer - teat the host as you would any other INTERNAL device.

Long answer - you don't apply an IP address to the external network bridge, but
you do to the internal network bridge. Then you apply firewall rules (in the
firewall appliance guest) to port forward an external connection to the
INTERNAL IP of the host.
Basically, imagine if you unravelled all the bits into real components. You'd
have your internet connection, a network switch, a router box, then another
network switch - and all your devices would be plugged into that second network
switch. Your Xen host is just one of those devices and plugs into the internal
network, and you need port forwarding in the router to get outside connections
inwards.
Once you have that flow in mind, you can "roll it all up again into the
virtualised setup you currently have.