Re: [Xen-users] 'xl reboot domid' ignores all in-memory changes AND the domu's config file changes

msd+xen-users@xxxxxx wrote:

> If no, do you have a solution for this problem ?

I was about to basically re-iterate some stuff, but when I started looking I
see that on the one host I have running the XL toolstack, this isn't working
like it did on the XM toolstack.

After a bit of looking around, it looks like this bit may be "broken" (unless
it's been fixed). This thread seems to be covering much the same issue, and
this particular message suggests that things may have been broken at the time :
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/xen/users/402201#402201

Whether it's been fixed, and what versions of stuff you need for those fixes, I
have no idea.

But the workaround for :

> - when domu1 reboot, destroy the machine and recreate the machine with it's
> updated conf file '/etc/xen/dumu1.cfg' ?

Is to shutdown the machine and create it. So instead of "xl reboot" which
simply tells the guest OS to restart USING THE SAME VIRTUAL MACHINE, use xl
shutdown followed by xl create which will create a new virtual machine with the
current settings in the config file.
According to
https://xenbits.xen.org/docs/unstable/man/xl.1.html#DOMAIN-SUBCOMMANDS the -w
flag should tell shutdown to wait, so in theory you should be able to run "xl
shutdown -w <domain> ; xl create <domain>" and bar a few seconds extra for
destroying and recreating the domain (plus a change in domain id number) should
give much the same results as just a reboot - but with config file changes in
effect.