Re: [Xen-users] 'xl reboot domid' ignores all in-memory changes AND the domu's config file changes

Hello !

Thank you for your reply !

The reboot 'bug'
----------------

So, what I have done :
- installing a Debian 8 jessie with xen 4.4.1
- creating a domu1 with 2048 Mb of RAM with 'xl create /etc/xen/domu1.cfg'
- 'xl li' says that domu1 has 2048 Mb of RAM
- use the command 'xl mem-set domu1 1024'
- 'xl li' says that domu1 has 1024 Mb of RAM
- use the command 'xl reboot domu1'
- waiting for the reboot to complete
- 'xl li' says that domu1 has ***2048 Mb*** of RAM # and this is not what I expect

Then :
- Upgrade my Debian from jessie to stretch with xen 4.6.0.
- 'xl li' says that domu1 has 2048 Mb of RAM
- use the command 'xl mem-set domu1 1024'
- 'xl li' says that domu1 has 1024 Mb of RAM
- use the command 'xl reboot domu1'
- waiting for the reboot to complete
- 'xl li' says that domu1 has ***1024 Mb*** of RAM # and this is what I expect

So I really think that it is a bug in xen 4.4.1.

No ?

xl config-update
----------------

Just for information.

With Debian stretch, I have tried the command 'xl config-update domu /etc/xen/domu1.cfg'. No segfault this time, but :

> WARNING: xl now has better capability to manage domain configuration, avoid using this command when possible
> setting dom3 configuration

And the config '/etc/xen/domu1.cfg' file was not changed !

self-ballooning
---------------

Austin S. Hemmelgarn <ahferroin7@xxxxxxxxx> wrote :
> and I have all my PV domains set up for self-ballooning, so 90% of the time they're using significantly less memory than they're assigned

How self-ballooning works ? How do you configure your Dom-0 and your Dom-u ?

Austin S. Hemmelgarn <ahferroin7@xxxxxxxxx> wrote :
> (like a nearly complete lack of documentation)

Do you know where I can find some documentation about it ?

shutdown + create

Simon Hobson <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote :
> Is to shutdown the machine and create it. So instead of "xl reboot" which simply tells the guest OS to restart USING THE SAME VIRTUAL MACHINE, use xl shutdown followed by xl create which will create a new virtual machine with the current settings in the config file.

Thank you !

But in fact my problem is that I don't want as a Dom-0 admin choose when the Dom-U will reboot. I don't want to reboot the Dom-U because there is services running on, I want that when the admin of the Dom-U wants (in the night, on sunday !), he reboots the Dom-U (with the 'reboot' command inside the Dom-U). And when the Dom-U admin do it, I just want the Dom-U to keep the good amount of RAM ! :)

But, for now, I will just do as you advise me. Reboot the Dom-U from the Dom-0 when I change its amount of RAM.

Regards,

Msd