Re: [Xen-users] Amazon PVMs magically weren't affected by XSA 182 vuln

On 09/23/2016 09:42 AM, Ian Murray wrote:

________________________________
From: Chris Laprise <tasket@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Joanna Rutkowska <joanna@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, 23 September 2016, 14:09
Subject: [Xen-users] Amazon PVMs magically weren't affected by XSA 182 vuln

Hello list...

Has anyone seen a good explanation as to why Amazon services were not
vulnerable to XSA182 / CVE-2016-6258 ? I understand they offer PV guests
on x86.
Perhaps because they get to patch before most people, as they are in the
pre-disclosure list?

https://www.xenproject.org/security-policy.html

And yet, an XSA can trigger updates at AWS that require explanation of the disruption...

https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/aws/ec2-maintenance-update-2/

So I wondered if in some cases Amazon's in-house versions may not have been vulnerable in the first place.

"All versions of Xen are vulnerable."

https://xenbits.xen.org/xsa/advisory-182.html

"AWS customers' data and instances are not affected by this issue, and
there is no customer action required."

https://aws.amazon.com/security/security-bulletins/xsa-security-advisory-xsa-182/

Chris