Re: [Xen-users] Amazon PVMs magically weren't affected by XSA 182 vuln

On Fri, Sep 23, 2016 at 3:34 PM, Chris Laprise <tasket@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 09/23/2016 09:42 AM, Ian Murray wrote:
>>

>>> ________________________________

It's worth pointing out that everything said here is conjecture, as
nobody from Amazon has said anything authoritative.

That said, there's some interesting tidbits here:

http://www.networkworld.com/article/2892313/cloud-computing/what-happens-inside-amazon-when-there-s-a-xen-vulnerability.html

Key quotes:

"Most of the Xen vulnerabilities do not apply to AWS because the
company has developed its own custom version of Xen. AWS has stripped
out all the features of Xen that it doesn’t need, both in order to
customize the performance of the open source code to the company’s
unique use case, and to limit its exposure to vulnerabilities. "

"Schmidt said AWS is always looking to improve its services: both
technically to ensure it doesn’t have to reboot VMs, and it is working
to keep customers better informed. Part of that process includes
sponsoring academic research, including some leading studies into how
Xen servers can be hot-patched without requiring a reboot. "

So two potential explanations for why they were not vulnerable:

1. They may have disabled the feature, so that they were never vulnerable

2. They may have used an internal hot-patching mechanism to apply the
patch without rebooting, so that the statement "we are not vulnerable"
was accurate at the time the vulnerability was publicly announced. :-)

 -George