[Xen-users] GPU passthrough into linux guest / Unable to locate a BIOS ROM

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Patrick Proniewski <patpro@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2017 18:19:05 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 29 Jan 2017 17:20:35 +0000

Hello,

I apologize for this message, it's a bit off-topic. I'm posting here because I
can't find a solution to my problem, and because I might find here some clever
people to help.

I'm running a PC on VMware ESXi 5.5, running a bunch of VMs (OSX, Windows,
Linux, FreeBSD, …). I have 3 graphics cards into that PC, all ATI Radeon,
because Nvidia won't let you passthrough their mainstream GPUs from ESXi to a
VM (you must buy very expansive "pro" GPU if you want to use passthrough).

GPU passthrough works very nicely in OSX and Windows, because those two OSes
have proprietary drivers. And now you see me coming : GPU passthrough does not
work on recent Linux, because official ATI drivers (fglrx) are no longer
supported. The card is here, detected, but the OS fails to initialize it and of
course to use it.

So I wonder if there is something in XEN that I could try & implement on my
Linux guest to make things work.

I've even tried a kernel patch that is supposed to load the graphics card BIOS
from a file in the system, but it failed (may be my BIOS dump was not good, I
have no clue).

You'll find my adventures here:
<https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2344008>

Again, sorry for the off-topic, I hope some of you with deep knowledge of
kernel/drivers/passthrough will be able to help.

thanks,
patpro