[Xen-users] 2 recently updated Centos6 Xen 4.6.3-5 server crashes

  • To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Brandon Shoemaker" <brandon.shoemaker@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2017 08:12:13 -0800
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 08 Feb 2017 16:13:42 +0000

Hello list,

I recently upgraded our Centos6 Xen servers to 4.6.3-5 about three weeks ago
and strangely this week we have had 2 servers crash with similar issues.
Nothing is able to be logged in /var/log/messages because the problem appears
to be disk related as the problem develops.  I took screenshots of console for
each server.

https://postimg.org/image/3xmuun3gv/
https://postimg.org/image/mw6ukvd93/

It appears there are I/O errors, then the journal aborts on the root logical
volume, and then there is EXT4-fs errors, and then swap errors reported.

Our monitoring manages to capture this information remotely before the crash.
It was the same for both servers.

CRIT - filesystem has switched to read-only and is probably corrupted CRIT,
missing: rw, exceeding: ro

Centos 6.8 3.18.44-20.el6.x86_64
xen version 4.6.3-5.el6
48gb RAM
Samsung 850 pro 1 TB SSD (yes I know the consumer class of this drive)
X10SRi-F motherboard 1.0b and 2.0a bios (two different servers running two
different BIOS versions)

One server was about half full and the other server near full as for VPS disk
allocation but had plenty of CPU and RAM resources available.  Neither server
has heavy I/O characteristics.

The servers have been in use without issue for months prior to this.

I find it unlikely that both servers would have a SSD disk fail in the same
exact manner within a few days of each other so I'm suspicious that this is a
software bug.

I'm wondering if this could have been caused by the recent Xen and or operating
system updates since it is coincidental that I am now having this issue after
recently updating when before the servers were stable.

Has anyone else had any similar crashes recently like this?