Re: [Xen-users] pvgrub2 legacy_configfile issues: /sbin/init exec error -8

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Andy Smith <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2017 08:10:46 +0000
  • Delivery-date: Sat, 11 Feb 2017 08:12:02 +0000

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the response. Do you have legacy_configfile working on
your setup?

On Sat, Feb 11, 2017 at 04:57:12AM +0000, Mark Pryor wrote:
> Are you sure you satisfied the build-depends for grub2?

I did do "apt-get build-deps grub2". You say this will "poison your
xen install" - is this likely to stop legacy_configfile working? I'm
surprised it could be anything to do with the build since the other
scenarios do work.

> The config summary for amd64/xen looks like below for me:
> GRUB2 will be compiled with following components:
> Platform: x86_64-xen
> With devmapper support: Yes
> With memory debugging: No
> With disk cache statistics: No
> With boot time statistics: No
> efiemu runtime: No (only available on i386)
> grub-mkfont: Yes
> grub-mount: Yes
> starfield theme: Yes
> With DejaVuSans font from /usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-dejavu/DejaVuSans.ttf
> With libzfs support: No (need zfs library)
> Build-time grub-mkfont: Yes
> With unifont from ./unifont.pcf.gz
> With liblzma from -llzma (support for XZ-compressed mips images)

Mine looks like:

GRUB2 will be compiled with following components:
Platform: x86_64-xen
With devmapper support: No (need libdevmapper header)
With memory debugging: No
With disk cache statistics: No
With boot time statistics: No
efiemu runtime: No (only available on i386)
grub-mkfont: No (need freetype2 library)
grub-mount: No (need FUSE library)
starfield theme: No (No build-time grub-mkfont)
With libzfs support: No (need zfs library)
Build-time grub-mkfont: No (need freetype2 library)
Without unifont (no build-time grub-mkfont)
Without liblzma (no support for XZ-compressed mips images) (need lzma library)

So, I see some things missing but nothing that sticks out as me as
stopping legacy_configfile from working while allowing configfile to
still work as it does.

>  You use grub-mkimage, but another way is to usegrub-mkstandalone

I'm struggling to find any examples of grub-mkstandalone usage with
regard to Xen, but I'll keep looking, thanks.

Cheers,
Andy