Re: [Xen-users] [Xen-devel] vif-bridge errors when creating and destroying dozens of VMs simultaneously

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 11:10 AM, George Dunlap
<george.dunlap@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 17/05/17 10:45, Roger Pau Monné wrote:
>> On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 10:04:40AM +0100, George Dunlap wrote:
>>> cc'ing xen-devel & some relevant people
>>
>> Please bear with me, my knowledge of iptables is 0.

>> So, an iptables command can fail randomly because there's someone else
>> holding
>> an iptables internal lock?
>>
>> Isn't there anyway to tell the iptables command to just block until it can
>> get
>> the lock? This seems extremely racy, isn't people then forced to use
>> something
>> like:
>>
>> while true; do
>>       iptables <...>
>>       if [ $? == 0 ]; then
>>               break;
>>       elif [ $? != 4 ]; then
>>               error ...
>>       fi
>> done
>>
>> When dealing with iptables?
>
> This seems to be a common problem ([1][2][3] come up right away).
>
> The basic solution seems to be to add the '-w' option to have it wait
> for the lock.  It does seem like that should be the default though.
> Having commands normally run inside of scripts randomly fail unless you
> add the special "don't randomly fail" option seems a bit mad.

Hmm, looking more into it:

* The -w option was introduced at the same time that the locking was
introduced [1].  So any version that has locking will have the -w
option.

* The bare -w option doesn't introduce a timeout, so in the case that
the xtables lock wasn't released, the script will hang indefinitely.
A '-W' option was introduced in 2016 to introduce a timeout, but this
is on even fewer systems than the -w option.  (My desktop, running
Debian Jessie, doesn't seem to have the -W option for instance.)

* The return code, RESOURCE_PROBLEM, is returned for other reasons;
but it looks like for our purposes in most case retrying might not be
a bad strategy in those cases either.

* But that was only in 2013 that the option was introduced, so it's
likely there are still old versions of iptables around that don't have
the -w option.

The good news is that versions without the -w option will *also* not
fail with error code 4 (although they may fail in other ways in the
case of concurrent accesses instead).

So we have three options:

1. Always add -w.  This will effectively drop support for systems
which don't have iptables -w.  It also wouldn't allow us to reliably
set a timeout.

2. Always do a loop.  This should work on all systems, but is
redundant for systems with -w and unnecessary on systems without.  On
the other hand, it would allow us to implement our own timeout even on
systems without the -W option.

3. Try to check to see if the version of iptables we have supports -w,
and use it if available.  This should also work on all systems, but
introduces a bit of complication.  It also doesn't allow us to
reliably use a timeout.

Any thoughts?

 -George

[1]