Re: [Xen-users] Wired Network Bridging

Ray Joseph <ray3960852@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> 1)  The POSTROUTING command gets the dom0 wireless interface name wlan0 and
> the $MAC_OF_BRIDGE which is the same as the MAC of the dom0 wireless MAC?

Yes.
This changes the source MAC address in each outgoing packet to be that of the
host interface (wlan0 in this case). This is to deal with wireless APs that
filter packets with a different MAC to the one that initially made the wireless
connection. As I said, you might try without these ebtables rules - I've found
some APs are not so fussy, and if that's the case then your life will be so
much simpler.

> 2)  The PREROUTING commands reference the dom0 wireless interface name and
> the domU IP address and MAC?

Yes. These two reverse the mangling done by the previous command so that
packets get to the guests correctly.

> 3)  In domUs, can the interface be defined as an Ethernet?  As such, be given
> the MAC address of the dom0 wireless interface?  Is there a good way to keep
> track of what IP addresses the vms are allocated?

They are seen as ethernet interfaces to the guests - the guest does NOT see
that there is wireless involved. As far as each guest is concerned, they have
an ethernet interface connected to a switch (the bridge in Dom0) - what's the
other side of that switch is largely invisible.

No, the guests MUST have unique MAC addresses. Your network will do "very
interesting things" if you have two devices with the same MAC !

As for IP and MAC allocation and tracking - well there are whole subsections of
the network management tool industry devoted to that problem ! For small
networks, just keep a simple text file or spreadsheet (overkill for a handful
of devices) listing the IP & MAC addresses assigned to each device (real &
virtual).

> 4)  In the interfaces file, is there a need to assure the ordering of these
> two lines:
> pre-up iwconfig wlan0 essid [myessid]                    # 1
> pre-up iw dev wlan0 set 4addr on                            # 2

No idea - as I said, I'm not familiar with wireless networking in these sorts
of situations (all my Linux systems are either hardwired with ethernet, or VMs
with no visibility of what's upstream).