[Xen-users] Chef Architecture for a Laptop Running Xen

  • To: "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Ray Joseph <ray@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2017 01:50:14 +0000
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 04 Sep 2017 01:55:16 +0000

I would like to better manage my experimental building of Debian 9.1 as dom0 for Xen Project hypervisor on a laptop with 500GB SSD and 16GB RAM.

This machine will be a workstation running multiple VMs for engineering, coding, and general purpose.

I have Xen up and running but have not had a successful VM created.

My biggest challenges are around networking.  There is a built in wifi and a docking station Ethernet. While I often break Internet connectivity, lately I've been able to recover connectivity.  Experimenting, I have broken this system unrecoverably to my capabilities.  So I have rebuilt it over 30 times.  I have just learned about Chet, Puppet...  So I am wondering how I might better manage the machine's configuration.

I am wondering what are the architectural considerations on how to setup Chef.  I have another laptop with Windows 10 that can be used (temporarily).  My concerns are how functional Chef will be in keeping track of the host, keeping track of the VMs, being able to use config data to rebuild this same machine if necessary, the size of this foot print in dom0 for this laptop, and is it the right tools for configuration management of VMs.

I found there is a Chef-solo but it seems to have a large foot print (that's only a guess).

Thank you in advance,

Ray