Re: [Xen-users] Reading a DomU's memory from Dom0 or Xen hypervisor

On Fri, Oct 6, 2017 at 3:51 AM, Roger Pau Monné <roger.pau@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 05, 2017 at 05:51:39PM +0000, Brett Stahlman wrote:
>> I'd like to be able to read specific memory locations within a DomU,
>> either by guest-physical or guest-virtual address, and I'm wondering
>> what the Xen-provided options in this area are. I've seen
>> documentation on "grant tables", but that mechanism seems tailored
>> towards communication between front and back-end drivers. All I want
>> to do is allow code in either Dom0 or the hypervisor itself to read
>> specific memory ranges within a specific DomU. I notice there's a
>> raw_copy_from_guest() function (guestcopy.c), which looks like it
>> could be useful. However, the hardcoding of "current->domain" in the
>> call to get_page_from_gva() leads me to suspect that it's intended for
>> use only in a hypercall. Is there a standard way to read memory from
>> an *arbitrary* guest, either using guest-physical or guest-virtual
>> addresses? If so, is it possible to do it from Dom0 without modifying
>> the Xen hypervisor?
>>
>> Links to relevant documentation or example source code would be
>> greatly appreciated...
>
> AFAICT you want to take a look at the foreignmemory library. It allows
> you to map DomU memory from Dom0 user-space [0].

Hmm... Just noticed that the foreignmemory mapping code was factored
out of libxc and into libxenforeignmemory in commit 324869 (Xen 4.7).
So it looks like there was no alternative to the libxc functions until
fairly recently. I'll probably try using the libxenforeignmemory
functions (tools/libs/foreignmemory) directly, unless someone can give
me a reason to prefer the libxc wrapper...

Thanks,
Brett S.