[Xen-users] Massive performance regression

  • To: Xen-users <Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Phil Susi <psusi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2018 11:14:37 -0500
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 28 Feb 2018 16:15:44 +0000

My server is running Ubuntu 16.04 using Xen 4.6.5-0ubuntu1.4.  There
must have been an update in the last few weeks that seems to have caused
a terrible performance regression.  When I try to fire up a testing vm
to test a live cd, it takes several minutes before anything shows up on
the display, and during that time, qemu-system-i386 is burning through
100% of a cpu ( out of 8 ).

Can anyone suggest how to troubleshoot this further?  Could this be
related to spectre?  If so, how to disable its workarounds?

I took a look at the change log and nothing jumps out at me:

xen (4.6.5-0ubuntu1.4) xenial-security; urgency=medium

  * Applying Xen Security Advisories:
    - CVE-2017-14316 / XSA-231
      - xen/mm: make sure node is less than MAX_NUMNODES
    - CVE-2017-14318 / XSA-232
      - grant_table: fix GNTTABOP_cache_flush handling
    - CVE-2017-14317 / XSA-233
      - tools/xenstore: dont unlink connection object twice
    - CVE-2017-14319 / XSA-234
      - gnttab: also validate PTE permissions upon destroy/replace
    - XSA-235
      - arm/mm: release grant lock on xenmem_add_to_physmap_one() error
paths
    - XSA-237
      - x86: don't allow MSI pIRQ mapping on unowned device
      - x86: enforce proper privilege when (un)mapping pIRQ-s
      - x86/MSI: disallow redundant enabling
      - x86/IRQ: conditionally preserve irq <-> pirq mapping on map error
        paths
      - x86/FLASK: fix unmap-domain-IRQ XSM hook
    - XSA-238
      - x86/ioreq server: correctly handle bogus
        XEN_DMOP_{,un}map_io_range_to_ioreq_server arguments
    - XSA-239
      - x86/HVM: prefill partially used variable on emulation paths
    - XSA-240
      - x86: limit linear page table use to a single level
      - x86/mm: Disable PV linear pagetables by default
    - XSA-241
      - x86: don't store possibly stale TLB flush time stamp
    - XSA-242
      - x86: don't allow page_unlock() to drop the last type reference
    - XSA-243
      - x86: Disable the use of auto-translated PV guestsx86: Disable
the use
        of auto-translated PV guests
      - x86/shadow: Don't create self-linear shadow mappings for 4-level
        translated guests
    - XSA-244
      - x86/cpu: Fix IST handling during PCPU bringup
    - XSA-245
      - xen/page_alloc: Cover memory unreserved after boot in
first_valid_mfn
      - xen/arm: Correctly report the memory region in the dummy NUMA
helpers

 -- Stefan Bader <stefan.bader@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>  Wed, 11 Oct 2017 15:41:03
+0200