[Xen-users] X-window Console Painfully Slow

  • To: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "John L. Poole" <jlpoole56@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2018 14:47:56 -0800
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 04 Mar 2018 22:49:12 +0000

I'm trying to troubleshoot a problem with the guest network bridging to the hypervisor. On a Gentoo hypervisor running Xen 4.9.1-r1 (10:12:41 AM 03/01/2018)(efi flask -custom-cflags -debug)

My problem is that the only way I can connect to my guest domain is through a drop-in console:

xl create salserver.cfg -c

in a PuTTY shell on Windows.  When I tried to drop in through the main console on the Linux machine, the cursor moves down and then nothing happens or is displayed.  Since the problem I'm wrestling with concerns network connectivity of the guest domain, I have been unable to connect via ssh into the guest domain.

The window that pops up on my Windows 7 desktop courtesy of Xming refreshes the entire window for each new line of output making the post messages of the start consume about 3-5 minutes before I get a log in.  Here's an animated GIF showing 15 seconds of the painfully slow process:

https://imgur.com/a/SG6yn

The configuration file is posted on the Gentoo Forum in a cross post:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-8191770.html#8191770

I see two alternatives, fix the console problem on the Linux box, or fix the child X-window appearing on my Windows 7 desktop.  Suggestions?