Re: [Xen-users] XEN 4.10 PVHVM with stubdomain seemes to be impossible?

  • To: Éliás Tamás <et@xxxxxxx>
  • From: George Dunlap <dunlapg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2018 11:47:01 +0000
  • Cc: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 12 Mar 2018 11:48:22 +0000

On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 10:54 AM, Éliás Tamás <et@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> All.
>

> I recently moved to XEN 4.10. I was using xen 4.4-4.9 on debian 16.04
> lts with the same old config files and settings for my Windows guests,
> but in XEN 4.10 things got "cleared up".
>
> While this is fine, and thumbs up, I had not been able to produce a
> working version of my Windows 10 domUs, having the old behaviour, which is:
>
> builder'hvm'
> device_mode_stubdomain_override=1
> pvh=1
>
> So stubdomain-protected PVHVM Windows 10 guest.

First of all, PVH isn't the same as PVHVM.  PVHVM is HVM mode (has
emulated devices) with some PV interfaces added; PVH is a new PV mode
that doesn't require any emulated devices.  (Sorry it's a bit
confusing.)  ATM Windows won't work in PVH mode, so you should at
least remove 'pvh=1'.

(Also, for future reference, it's helpful to include the entire config
file when reporting an issue.)

Someone else recently reported that stubdomains in 4.10 didn't work
with non-'qdisk' disk backends.  Are you using the normal 'physical'
backend?  Can you try:

* Removing the device_model_stubdomain_override to see if it works
* Adding 'backendtype=qdisk' to your disk specification.

Thanks,
 -George