Re: [Xen-users] Attaching dom0 external USB HD to domU

On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 12:27 PM, George Dunlap <dunlapg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> It should work, with the following caveats:
>
> 1. Your guest OS won't know that it's a removable device, and so may
> not be as aggressive about flushing data out to it to avoid data loss
> in the case of unexpected force removal.
> 2. The device name (/dev/sdf) may not be stable: that is, every time
> you remove or insert the device, or every time you reboot, you might
> get a different device name, so you'll need to change the config file.
> (Or alternately, create a custom udev rule that would recognize that
> particular USB device and give it a consistent name.)

Thanks George for confirming and for your tips regarding that setup.

> If you're using an HVM guest, and have a new enough version of Xen to
> have the 'usbdevice' directive, you can use the "bus.addr" naming
> scheme, which should (I believe) be consistent across both device
> removal and across reboots (as long as you always plug it into the
> same slot); but that does mean restricting your guest type, as well as
> emulating a USB controller and so on, which could potentially be less
> efficient.

This is actually the case, I am using HVM for a Win2k12r2 domU. So do
I understand you correctly that the only thing I need in my domU cfg
file is the following:

usb=1
usbdevice=[ "host:1.4" ]

In that case let's say lsusb showed my external USB disk plugged in on
bus 001 and device 004.

By the way I am using Xen 4.9 on Ubuntu 17.10.

Best,
J.