[Xen-users] xen mouse problems

Setup: ubuntu 16 server
(xen 4.6.5-0ubuntu1.4)

Symptoms should sound very familiar to y'all: Windows 10 as a guest and the mouse pointer not tracking properly; always offset by some amount making it hard to reach anything on the edges of the screen.

I tried setting usb=1 and usbdevice=['tablet'] but it only sometimes helps. Multiple reboots seems to make it go away, but it always comes back. In one instance, I had 5 reboots in a row before i could get it working again.

Going into windows "Mouse Properties" and unchecking the "Enhance pointer precision" ticky box only helped when I vnc in from my laptop and use a mouse. I'm running vnc on a touch screen (only; no mouse or keyboard) monitor and so this workaround doesn't help me.

And indeed, the "Intel 82371SB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller" is not initializing correctly; it has the yellow warning triangle on it. When I remove it (right click, uninstall) and rescan, my mouse works correctly again.

Unfortunately, this is intended to be a kiosk, and it needs to be reliable. I can't ask someone to check on it every time it reboots, and then go into the back to fiddle with the server (most people won't even have access to the server). Plus, it's not like I can remotely detect that this is a problem, and just automatically reboot until it goes away.

I searched lists.xenproject.org and there's been no mention of "82371SB" since 2014. So... help?

   - Kevin

Details:

Guest OS:
Windows 10 Home, latest patches

Guest config:
builder = "hvm"
name = "kiosk.hvm"
memory = "4096"
vcpus = 1
vif = ['']
disk = ['phy:/dev/lvg/kiosk-root,hda,w' ]
vnc = 1
vncdisplay = 1
vnclisten = '10.10.22.15'
usb=1
usbdevice = ['tablet'] # fix mouse tracking problem
vncpasswd = 'm'
boot="dc"
stdvga=1
videoram=16
localtime=1 # also need to manually set time inside windows to make it stick

Host hardware:
Dell poweredge T50 (new) with
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1225 v5 @ 3.30GHz
32 GB RAM (i.e. no shortage)

Host OS:
ubuntu 16 server, apt-get update/upgrade is current
Linux xen 4.4.0-128-generic #154-Ubuntu SMP Fri May 25 14:15:18 UTC 2018 x86_64
x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

(not that the vnc client matters, it's a vm problem)

VNC client (though the mouse problem always manifests when I use its touch screen)
Intel Compute Stick (Atom); ubuntu 14, tightvnc
elo 1502L pcap touch screen (only)
(no keyboard, no mouse)

Another VNC client, also affected
dell xps laptop
kubuntu 16, touchscreen
but works "fine" with the windows workaround plus I bring the cursor in from the edge of the screen