Re: [Xen-users] PVH dom0 creation fails - the system freezes

On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 07:52:53AM +0000, Bercaru, Gabriel wrote:
> Hello,
>

> For the last few days, I have been trying to get a PVH dom0 running,
> however I encountered the following problem: the system seems to
> freeze after the hypervisor boots, the screen goes black. I have tried to
> debug it via a serial console (using Minicom) and managed to get some
> more Xen output, after the screen turns black.

I don't think it freezes, it's just extremely slow due to MTRR being
disabled and all memory treated as UC. If you left it overnight you
will probably manage to get to the Linux login prompt.

> I mention that I have tried to boot the PVH dom0 using different kernel
> images (from 4.9.0 to 4.18-rc3), different Xen  versions (4.10, 4.11, 4.12).
>
> Below I attached my system / hypervisor configuration, as well as the
> output captured through the serial console, corresponding to the latest
> versions for Xen and the Linux Kernel (Xen staging and Kernel from the
> xen/tip tree).
>

> OS + Distro: Linux / Debian 9 Stretch
> Kernel Version: 4.17-rc5, tagged with for-linus-4.18-rc5-tag from the
> xen/tip tree.
> Xen Version: 4.12, commit id e3f667bc5f51d0aa44357a64ca134cd952679c81
> of the Xen tree.

You are missing the MTRR series. Can you try to build Xen from the
staging branch instead of master?

Roger.