Re: [Xen-users] domU migration from Xen 4.8 HyperVisor to Xen 4.4

Il 20/08/2018 13:04, Roger Pau Monné ha scritto:
On Mon, Aug 20, 2018 at 12:17:46PM +0200, Alessandro Tugnoli wrote:
Thank you, i supposed that.
I've asked about migration from older to newer version of hypervisor because
I'm doing an upgrade of my two Xen Hypervisor hosts from xen 4.4 to 4.8 by
moving all the VM on the other host before upgrade to avoid services
downtime.
So, to be clear, I started with both hosts with Xen 4.4 and some VM on host1
and some on host2, so I "live" moved all the VM of host1 to host2 then I've
upgraded host1 to xen 4.8  (of course host2 still have xen 4.4) and, after
upgrade I would to move back my VM on host1 in order to proceed to the
upgrade of host2 but I've encountered the problem of migration from older
version to a newer of Xen :(

Hope this clarify

So what's the best way to upgrade a cluster with 2 Xen Host without services
downtime ?
If both hosts are using the same Xen version you should move
everything to one host, update the now empty host, move all DomUs to
the newly updated host and finally update the remaining host.
yes is what I've tried but the migration fails also from old->new and that was strange
(i can understand that the migration won't work from new to old of course)

So, by now I had shut down manually all my domUs, reactivated them on other host (thanks to drbd synchronization of course),
upgrade the server and activated them back again on the upgraded host!

thanks in advance
best regards
alex