Re: [Xen-users] How can you boot dom0 with a rootfilesystem that lives in memory?

On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 03:09:42AM +0000, Kleve, Jesse R wrote:
> I’m trying to find a way to load a rootfs into memory and have dom0
> use this as the root filesystem instead of extracting the rootfs on to
> an SD card partition and mounting that. Is this possible? I have been
> unable to find any documentation on this. Is there a property in the
> dom0 chosen section of the device tree to specify the location of the
> rootfs?

I have achieved this previously in several ways:

1. custom initramfs scripts to load a squashfs image to memory as the root
filesystem
2. if you are an ubuntu user then casper (usually for livecd / netboot) can do
this if you use toram
3. on centos the dmsquash-live dracut module can also do something similar
4. instead of the initramfs mounting the real root you can just make it *huge*
and have it contain all of your dom0

The best approach probably depends on how you intend to build your dom0
image.  (As you mention device tree and I think this is an Arm thing
then these solutions may not be approriate.)  Xen itself doesn't have
anything special afaik so solving this is going to be similar as having
a bare metal environment in memory.

Regards,
James