[Xen-users] Xen hvms crashing multiple win10 instances

I want a pretty simple setup: 3 (or more) copies of windows basically all doing the same thing. no special hardware, nothing, I'm just connecting via VNC.

However, I've noticed that having more than one of them causes them to freeze quite quickly/easily. i.e. for N in 1 2 3 ; do xl create /etc/xen/$N.hvm ; done -- pretty much always results in one or more hanging during boot.

but if I run just one instance, it doesn't hang.

Smells like a race condition, specifically in the network emulation, because when I delete the vif= line, I no longer get the crashes. Also, if I switch to vif=rtl... then it crashes even faster; I only get a black screen, never a windows logo.

Dell Poweredge (I just updated the bios, which seems to have helped a lot from my prior stability issues)

Help?

   - Kevin

# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 3
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 94
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1225 v5 @ 3.30GHz
stepping        : 3
microcode       : 0xc6
cpu MHz         : 3311.998
cache size      : 8192 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 4
core id         : 0
cpu cores       : 1
apicid          : 0
initial apicid  : 0
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 13
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu de tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mca cmov pat clflush acpi
mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht syscall nx lm constant_tsc rep_good nopl nonstop_tsc cpu
id pni pclmulqdq monitor est ssse3 fma cx16 sse4_1 sse4_2 movbe popcnt aes xsaveavx f16c rdrand hypervisor lahf_lm abm 3dnowprefetch ibrs ibpb stibp fsgsbase b
mi1 hle avx2 bmi2 erms rtm rdseed adx clflushopt xsaveopt xsavec xgetbv1
bugs            : cpu_meltdown spectre_v1 spectre_v2 spec_store_bypass l1tf
bogomips        : 6623.99
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64
address sizes   : 39 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management:

# cat /etc/issue
Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS \n \l

# dpkg -l | grep -i xen-hypervisor
ii  xen-hypervisor-4.6-amd64              4.9.2-0ubuntu1                       amd64        Transitional package for upgrade
ii  xen-hypervisor-4.9-amd64              4.9.2-0ubuntu1                       a
md64        Xen Hypervisor on AMD64

# cat /etc/xen/pos21.hvm
builder = "hvm"
name = "pos21.hvm"
memory = "4096"
vcpus = 1
vif = ['model=e1000']
disk = ['phy:/dev/lvg/pos21-root,hda,w' ]
vnc = 1
vncdisplay = 1
vnclisten = '10.10.22.15'
usb = 0
usbdevice = ['tablet']  # fix mouse tracking problem
vncpasswd = 'y'
boot = "dc"
stdvga = 1
videoram = 16
localtime = 1 # also need to manually set time inside windows to make it stick
uuid = "092b8bea-f2c8-4874-b2ee-0ae6ac6bdf8e"