[Xen-users] Usage of ifconfig in /etc/xen/scripts/vif-route

Hi there,

On a fresh install of xen-hypervisor (4.8) on a Debian stretch machine,
the vif-route script still uses ifconfig. This gives a non-descriptive
error when creating a domU, as you can see at the end of this email.
I've used xen-create-image for preparing the VM and can provide the
exact command if needed, although I'm quite sure this doesn't help for
solving the problem at hand.

The Debian stretch installation did not have net-tools installed. The
package net-tools installs ifconfig et al. Although this may be a
distribution packaging problem, I've checked the current HEAD
(cb70a26f78) of https://xenbits.xen.org/git-http/xen.git and the last
commit for tools/hotplug/Linux/vif-route was in 2014. git blame reveals
that the line containing ifconfig dates from 2011, commit cd98e007143.

Since ifconfig has been deprecated in a couple of major
distributions[0][1] some 8-10 years ago, I was wondering whether there
is an equivalent iproute2 command for creating the vif in
/etc/xen/scripts/vif-route. Currently it is: ifconfig ${dev} ${main_ip}
netmask 255.255.255.255 up

I've searched the mailing lists for an iproute2 equivalent, but did not
find it. I've tried to replace the ifconfig command (just below the
"online)" case) into `ip link add name ${dev} type dummy`, but that
errors with "RTNETLINK answers: File exists."
(/var/log/xen/xen-hotplug.log).

Anyone got a good idea for not using the deprecated ifconfig here?

Best regards,
Gerdriaan Mulder

[0] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2009/03/msg00780.html
[1] https://www.archlinux.org/news/deprecation-of-net-tools/

+++ error messages from `xl create -c <configfile>`
libxl: error: libxl_exec.c:118:libxl_report_child_exitstatus:
/etc/xen/scripts/vif-route online [25514] exited with error status 1
libxl: error: libxl_device.c:1237:device_hotplug_child_death_cb: script:
/etc/xen/scripts/vif-route failed; error detected.
libxl: error: libxl_create.c:1461:domcreate_attach_devices: unable to
add nic devices
libxl: error: libxl.c:1575:libxl__destroy_domid: non-existant domain 14
libxl: error: libxl.c:1534:domain_destroy_callback: unable to destroy
guest with domid 14
libxl: error: libxl.c:1463:domain_destroy_cb: destruction of domain 14
failed