[Xen-users] Xen hypervisor and HDDs with 4K sectors

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Peter Milesson <miles@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 May 2019 11:51:02 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Sat, 25 May 2019 09:52:16 +0000

Hi folks,

I'm planning to set up a new virtualization server with Xen 4.12. Dom-0 will most probably be based on CentOS, either the latest 7, or the new 8. Most of the VMs will run different Linux based support apps, with a couple of Windows servers fulfilling specific needs.

I want to use the most modern hardware possible, and in line with that, I would like to have the option to use HDD (or SSD) drives with 4K sectors through a hardware RAID controller.

I have been searching information about Xen and support for drives with 4K sectors, but I haven't seen much information on the subject. I would be sincerely "dissappointed" if I purchase a new server for 10000+ USD, only to discover it to be utter useless.

Best regards,

Peter