[Xen-users] Passthrough NIC not connecting to guest or reporting cable unplugged.

  • To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Marc Tousignant" <myrdhn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2019 09:09:49 -0400
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 20 Jun 2019 13:11:02 +0000

So apparently I am the only one having this issue, which is weird in and of itself… But I have been having this issue since I attempted to go to 4.7 back in 2017, where it happened in 4.6 and 4.8 when I was trying to resolve it. And it is still there in 4.10 now. My system ran fine on 4.5.

https://lists.gt.net/xen/users/458441

https://lists.gt.net/xen/users/549380

The dmesgs I provided in the second link above a few months ago, but no one has responded.

I have new, if weird, info..

When the guest is started after a reboot of the box, there are no issues. NIC passthrough works without issue.

When the guest is rebooted, actually told to reboot from within the guest session. The domU restarts, and the NIC devices are not assigned??

When the guest is told to shutdown/power off, and then a new create of the guest is performed from the host, the NIC devices are assigned. But then it gets a bit weird.

  • If the guest is Linux based, the NICs assigned and work properly. One of my guests is a Sophos UTM being run virtually and assigned 2 physical devices.
  • If the guest is Windows based, the NICs are assigned, however they report media state disconnected. One of my guests is a Windows 2012 server and assigned 1 physical device.

The NIC I am assigning to pass through is a 4 port Intel 82580 card assigned id’s 04:00.0 to 04:00.3.

MarcT