[Xen-users] Is it possible to remap xl console ctrl-o?

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Andy Smith <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2019 16:58:11 +0000
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 24 Jun 2019 16:59:14 +0000

Hi,

Today I had a user accidentally immediately power off (equivalent to
xl destroy) their VM.

They were editing a file in "xl console" using nano. nano's key
binding for "save buffer" is ctrl-o. xl console's key binding for
Linux Magic SysRq is also ctrl-o.

Pressing it once and thinking nothing had happened, they pressed it
again.

SysRq o: "Shut off the system"

They did not even know what had happened because they're not
familiar with Magic SysRq.

I can't ask users to not use nano. I can't ask users to disable
Magic SysRq in their own VMs. The best alternative seems to be to
remap Xen's ctrl-o to something else. In my setup very few users
know what Magic SysRq is, so those who do can read up on the
different binding.

Is this possible without code modification?

Thanks,
Andy