[Xen-users] qcow2 and Xen

Hello,

we are currently planning to create about 40 new VMs on Debian 10 and there are
some technology decisions we want to make before starting. We have already decided
that we will use PVH instead of PV guests. Now we are debating how to store the VMs.
Until now we have used the traditional approach with a LVM. A colleague showed me some of the things he can do with proxmox and qcow2 and I would like to give qcow2-images a try. We have midterm plans of migrating to a SAN and this would most likely be easier with images instead of a LVM.

I have found out on my own that Xen supports qcow2 in theory, but I still have two questions:

1) How mature is Xen's support for qcow2 as compared to LVM or raw images?

2) How do I set up a new guest with qcow2? The Xen-Tools seem only to support Raw-Images
and LVM? Surprisingly I have found very little information about both my questions on the WWW, I hope that somebody on this list can provide me with more information.

Thanks in advance
Stefan Malte Schumacher