Subject: Audio not working: "snd_hda_intel: No response from codec, resetting bus"
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2019 19:11:55 +0000
From: Claudia <csp5595@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: qubes-users <qubes-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Audio works fine in Fedora 25-1.3 livecd and codec is detected as "ALC3234 Analog", alsa version k4.8.6-300.fc25.x86_64. It also works in F30.

On Qubes 4.0.2-rc2, I can't get audio to work at all. Codec shows up as "Generic Analog" in `aplay -l`, in alsamixer chip (codec) is "Generic ffff Generic", and kernel logs show

snd_hda_intel 0000:03:00.1: no codecs initialized
snd_hda_intel 0000:03:00.6: azx_get_response timeout, switching to polling mode: last cmd=0x000f0000 snd_hda_intel 0000:03:00.6: No response from codec, disabling MSI: last cmd=0x000f0000
snd_hda_intel 0000:03:00.6: Codec #0 probe error; disabling it...
snd_hda_intel 0000:03:00.6: No response from codec, resetting bus: last cmd=0x000f0000

... followed by a stack trace.

0000:03:00.6 is the speaker/headphone interface, and .1 is HDMI. I'm not concerned with HDMI at the moment.

I get a variety of different errors from aplay in dom0, or it just hangs indefinitely; it seems random. And I obviously can't hear anything playing in VMs.

ALSA version is k4.19.81-1.pvops.qubes.x86_64

I tried playing around with some modprobe options, such as probe_mask=1, probe_mask=8, model=auto, and index=1, but none of them get rid of the errors or cause the codec to be detected as anything other than "Generic Analog".

I get the same result when booting Qubes with VT-x and VT-d disabled. I also tried booting the Qubes installer, but it appears the installer doesn't attempt to load any sound drivers (no success or failure messages) and it doesn't appear to have alsa-utils.

Any idea why audio would work in Fedora 25 with 4.8.6, but not Qubes R4.0.2 with 4.18.81?

As a workaround, I was able to get Xen to detect the codec and get rid of the error by using single_cmd=1. However the snd_hda_intel documentation warns that single_cmd is meant for debugging purposes only and is generally not recommended.

However, even with the error gone and the codec driver loading now, I still can't get any sound in Xen, even after reordering the cards, disabling the HDMI card, trying various model= options, disabling power save, and trying speaker-test with pulseaudio disabled. At best I get a quiet static from headphones, and can hear a slight pop when the channel is unmuted. Additionally, speaker-test and aplay occasionally seem to hang indefinitely, as if the device is blocking, but not always. Audio works fine using the same configuration when booted without Xen.

So, to recap what I've found so far:
Fedora 25 live cd: works
Qubes without Xen: works
Qubes with Xen: codec probe error
Qubes with Xen, VT-x & VT-d disabled: codec probe error
Qubes with Xen, single_cmd=1: codec detected, but no sound

I suppose I could try installing F25 with Xen and see if I get sound. But I'm pretty well convinced it's Xen (not Qubes) at this point.

I tried pci=noacpi but the keyboard wouldn't work, so I couldn't test sound. The console said something about "couldn't find IRQ ... please try using pci=biosirq". Exact same result when I replaced it with acpi=noirq. pci=biosirq had no effect as far as I could tell.

I don't know what else to try at the moment. Any ideas would be highly appreciated.