Re: [Xen-users] Load Xen domU (guest) kernel over TFTP

On 01/02/2020 04:54, pierre-philipp braun wrote:
On 31/01/2020 12:30, Pierre-Philipp Braun wrote:
Just a workaround, mbootpack allows you to compact both kernels into
one. It was used a while ago to deal with bootloaders without
Multiboot. Not super flexible solution, but a workaround

Is it going to work on Arm as well?

Hmm.  What method is actually used to boot xen and dom0 kernels on ARM
(without considering PXE)?

It is a custom protocol for Xen based on Device-Tree [1]. While we also call it multiboot, this is not the same as the x86 version.

In case we have Multiboot kernels and modules for ARM, it might still be
worth a try, as U-Boot probably knows how to handle a standard Linux
kernel file format, which Mbootpack delivers.
I am assuming you are refererring to [2]. Looking at the code, it would need to be adapt for Arm (there is some assembly and Image/zImage format is not supported).

However, I am not entirely sure how this would solve the problem here. Even if you manage to pack the two kernels, how do you pass it to the guest?

Cheers,

[1] https://xenbits.xen.org/docs/unstable/misc/arm/device-tree/booting.txt
[2] https://github.com/timdeegan/mbootpack

--