Re: [Xen-users] Xen 4.12 DomU hang / freeze / stall under high network/disk load

On Fri, Feb 14, 2020 at 12:07 AM Tomas Mozes <hydrapolic@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello Glen, thanks for your report.

Thank you!

> The symptoms seem similar:
> - xen 4.12
> - 2 cpu
> - high load
> - dom0 is ok, domU stalls

Yes, same here.

> I've just upgraded one of my machines to xen 4.12 (again) with sched=credit,
> I'll report back if it helps.

Thanks.  Right now I'm focused on tsc_mode, since it's what I was
working on before Sarah's responses yesterday.

My guest machine survived 24 hours under a very high load test using
tsc_mode="always_emulate" in the guest machine config.  I realize that
24 hours is hardly conclusive, but given Sarah's suggestion to try to
eliminate things quickly, I've now switched the guest to what I think
is the opposite tsc_mode="native", and I'm trying it there for a
little while to see if it crashes.   (Neither of these are the default
- the default seems to be a hybrid of the two - but I will return and
test that once more if I can.)

In addition to my normal test methods, I have at Sarah's suggestion
thrown in an iperf3 at maximum speed, continuous repeat from the host
to the guest, just to see if it helps stall the machine faster.   It's
pushing data at 14GBps right now, so we'll see.

I will report on whatever happens.

Thank you for your response!

Glen