Re : Re: Xen 4.11 - Unable to start X server: Nvidia out of memory error

Le samedi 20 juin 2020 17:31, Niels Dettenbach <niels@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> a écrit :

> > Am 20.06.2020 um 17:12 schrieb Mathieu Tarral mathieu.tarral@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx:
> > Considering that in a normal boot I don't have any issue with Nvidia,
> > I would say it is related to Xen.
>
> as a xen user i remember from years ago, NVidias proprietary graphic drivers
> for linux made problems if runned under Xen too. If i remember correctly, the
> reason was of some „improper“ handling of memory / ressource access /
> management / driver implementation which only affected some kind of
> virtualization stuff xen relys on. The open source nv driver variant (without
> the „binary blob“ for extended features like some 3D accel stuff etc.) worked.
>
> At that time it was difficult to get it solved as there was no real effort
> from NVidia at that time...
Does Nvidia have a better relation with open-source nowadays ?
It seems that for consumer GPU, you are still on your own.

> But afaik it got solved sometimes monthes later by NVidia (not tested it
> again then, because had switched to another graphic if yet).
Do you have any link to share regarding this bug fix maybe ?

> So reasons are less „clear“ on the xen side then first impression might
> pictures...
Meaning that for we are not sure where the responsabilities are regarding this
issue ?

> And if i remember right, a workaround was to use a older nvidia driver
> version (but not matched my kernel minimum version there...).
I will try both downgrading my nvidia driver and the nouveau driver.

Thanks !