Newbie fails booting: "Xen is relinquishing VGA console"

I am following the instructions at https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_Project_Beginners_Guide, except that I am installing the latest Debian. The machine is a Lenovo Thinkpad E540 with ample memory (16GB).

Trying to boot the Xen kernel, all I get is a dark screen. When I remove the "quiet" option from Grub's menu point, I see that the last message before blanking the screen is "Xen is relinquishing VGA console".

There are various documents on the internet that contain this string, but I am a total newcomer to the world of Xen and don't understand them. It might have something to do with "booting into domU versus dom0". I don't have a domU defined at this point.

I can boot into "normal" Debian without Xen.

How can I proceed? Should I use a different document to bootstrap myself into Xen?

Thanks in advance.