qemu expected in dom0 by xl tools

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Henrik Riomar <rio@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Dec 2020 12:37:18 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 09 Dec 2020 12:12:52 +0000

Hi,

Now that we have pvh mode I was trying to build a tiny dom0 without
qemu present at all. The guests starts fine in pvh move and
no problems are observed.

But it seems the xl tools complains anyhow:

Parsing config from /etc/xen/<domUname>.cfg
libxl: info: libxl_create.c:121:libxl__domain_build_info_setdefault: qemu-xen
is unavailable, using qemu-xen-traditional instead: No such file or directory

Its possible to suppress the warning with:
device_model_override = "/bin/false"
device_model_version = "qemu-xen"

But why would the xl tools require qemu to be installed when only using
pvh guests? is there something the qemu device model is actually used for in
this mode?

Thanks,
 Henrik