xen domu problems

I am working on using FAI to build domU's. I thought I was had it figured out but when I went to stamp out my work with chef I found that only my test system was building bootable VMs. On the failing Xen servers the build is successful
but when I attempt to boot the system I get the following errors.

# /usr/sbin/xl create /etc/xen/zoot-lab-2.domain.com.cfg
Parsing config from /etc/xen/zoot-lab-2.corp.domain.com.cfg
xc: error: panic: xc_dom_core.c:208: failed to open file '/boot/vmlinuz': No such file or directory: Internal error

The relevant part of zoot-lab-2.domain.com.cfg is:

kernel      = '/boot/vmlinuz'
ramdisk     = '/boot/initrd.img'
root        = '/dev/xvda1 ro'
disk        = [
'phy:/dev/vg_xen/zoot-lab-2.corp.dropbox.com-disk,xvda1,w',
              ]

The error seems to indicate that it cannot find the disk or the kernel. When I mount the disk I can see /boot/vmlinuz and /boot/init.img on both the working
and the failing systems.

The Xen hypervisors are build on Ubuntu Bionic (18.04) with Xen 4.9. The stock Xen delivery from Ubuntu. The VM I am building is Ubuntu Focal (20.04).

There is something I am missing and I could use some suggestions about what I
should be looking for.

Thanks in advance,

Bill

--