Re: AW: Windows DomU: Network Issues

On 2021-05-10 1:55 p.m., Paul Leiber wrote:
Von: Xen-users<xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>  Im Auftrag von
Paul Leiber
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 6. Mai 2021 21:47

Also, there was a persistent error on
Windows Update so I couldn't install any updates.
Solution: This issue was totally unrelated to Xen, it is a Windows Update
issue. I needed to manually download and install update KB2937636
(https://www.microsoft.com/de-DE/download/details.aspx?id=43434).
Further observations from Windows 10 device manager on the domU:
- There is one device without a driver (yellow triangle), the device is called
XSC000 XENVIF 0
- The system devices XenServer PV Interface, XenServer PV Bus (twice), and
XenServer PV Network Class seem to be installed correctly
- The NIC installed is shown as Realtek RTL8139C+ Fast Ethernet NIC
Solution: It turned out that I had to manually install the drivers for the
unknown devices, (in device manager, select to install driver from disk, then
select one of the pv drivers). In this way, I got both Windows Server 2012 and
Windows 10 working. I had to use trial and error to find the correct setup, but
most stuff seems to work fine. The network speed is more than sufficient. I
didn't even need to disable checksum offloading.

The PCI passthrough device seems to get lest in the domU, but that seems to be
a different matter (IRQ conflict?) which I will try to follow up in the next
steps.

Thanks everybody,

Paul

Glad to hear you got it sorted.

The Beginner's Guide could use an update in spots. If you noticed anything in particular I'd appreciate hearing about it. I did some editing on the page last year and planned to make a few more improvements but got caught up in other things.  At a quick glance, I can see some things could be fixed up, like what the windows.cfg file should look like once Windows has completed installation.

I'm no xen-pert but a couple of things in your cfg file made me wonder a bit. Is it a combination of two files or is half of it meant to be commented out? For example you have repeats of "boot=" and "device_model_version = " and I'm pretty sure you don't need/want the "kernel=" line once installation is complete.

I also suggest you have a look at SPICE (see https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/SPICE_support_in_Xen and www.spice-space.org) and consider using it in place of vnc. At least on my system, it does a better job of mouse handling, USB passthrough and video performance generally.

David