AW: AW: Windows DomU: Network Issues

  • To: David Hill <davehill@xxxxxxxxx>, "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Paul Leiber <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 2021 15:53:06 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.microsoft.com 1; spf=pass smtp.mailfrom=onlineschubla.de; dmarc=pass action=none header.from=onlineschubla.de; dkim=pass header.d=onlineschubla.de; arc=none
  • Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=microsoft.com; s=arcselector9901; h=From:Date:Subject:Message-ID:Content-Type:MIME-Version:X-MS-Exchange-SenderADCheck; bh=wGs4NDZEnGn3uUouYBqQCbPKqJp0/gfeiKrn+1zjZRM=; b=Q6AQhs2izGt4xT1Qhd0mRQGAKJ/+9urjV423YT5Sa1lMLz38T2f1jFCPE3gi7xtyf0d5p3Wa/IIu80hahlp+ZgexSPm2AKWAn+n6FDZ3RW7oHP2DKWHZ/0iaVbFRbLUy0zPC1YCDT2pwSzFeBygInDy1b0goK4L2Hoy5mxZuTimjpk2KPYekENQsLVx0IdGQKuFzgg2DIouqkX5rb0lMn0zeiayphT+N9dWTQmkv+wpVhkIJZXeBx6IbAi/BAIrZ1sUhx4ljko19QQHiC+U3g0fvQxigq5esjJxytjXIulSsnNjWFGVlw+95EgcDDmKvrJtd1vB3bZuHNfa7qftfjw==
  • Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; s=arcselector9901; d=microsoft.com; cv=none; b=hr/Em5EZzGYOCbE0mfjkrFsSgAP/l8p/d/LnsrjvUz/juCoxWKY0lm4Bc5kJFnssFBms2kfevMNnAiR1+PlnhwgrqPLtSWkcSbNHlOCQ5gZZceqTlqduM8I0XPJnl6sxROJr4pzrrYAQw7W7r+0bJCRqIFkQ/Cl8d58XrQSV2H9r09+cnopqUjjOcMGNmuK/OpQXMxjYoZsvDAPbLJ4eroBB3VGhkjk50+2kdCA0erFFSqodaPI9+0VZwg543tCAs2a+fjQGY72oGv/NJgT+5K9vvXjw7YAFmh7e5F+sZsAmIOntCYT8LlWDdg825Zh2dcT4ZYozVtJTLbZa0YTBuw==

Sounds like a good idea! I gladly will try to sum up my experience to help you.

I just checked the howto again, it seems mostly pretty good to me. It helped me
to set up the Xen system very well without a lot of knowledge, at least the PV
guest part. Even the HVM section worked insofar as the Windows installation
generally worked. The only real issues that I had was that (1) I needed to
enable usbdevice = 'tablet' or the mouse pointer would be off in VNCViewer and
that (2) the keyboard layout was not correct (it took me quite some time to
figure out why I couldn't login via Windows Remotedesktop after finalizing the
installation in VNCViewer: The password I entered in Remotedesktop was not
correct because the keymap in VNCViewer was partly wrong, hence I entered a
password during installation that didn't match the intended password). These
two parts could be adapted. However, I don't know if instead adapting the howto
to using SPICE would make these changes unnecessary (see your comment below)?

What really was outdated was the section on the PV drivers for windows (as well
as other sites in the wiki, e. g.
https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_Windows_GplPv/Installing, which seems to
be completely obsolete). Here, a link to the Xen Project site
https://xenproject.org/windows-pv-drivers/ would be helpful instead of the
outdated links in the howto. Also, a comment that installation of some of the
drivers needs to be done manually (as loosely described by me above) in the
Windows device manager would have saved me a lot of time. Additionally, a note
on how to switch off driver signature checking in Windows would help as long as
the drivers are not signed.

BTW, should my experience with the Windows PV drivers be mentioned to the
driver developers somehow? I guess it should be possible to make an automatic
install work again, and there seems to be active development on the drivers?

> I'm no xen-pert but a couple of things in your cfg file made me wonder a
> bit. Is it a combination of two files or is half of it meant to be
> commented out? For example you have repeats of "boot=" and
> "device_model_version = " and I'm pretty sure you don't need/want the
> "kernel=" line once installation is complete.

Yes, you are right, there are duplicate entries stemming from copy-pasting. I
corrected that, the file now looks like this:

kernel = "/usr/lib/xen-4.0/boot/hvmloader"
type='hvm'
memory = 4096
vcpus=4
name = "windows"
vif = ['bridge=xenbr0']
disk = ['phy:/dev/vg0/windows,hda,w']
device_model_version = 'qemu-xen'
boot="c"
hdtype = 'ahci'
acpi = 1
apic = 1
xen_platform_pci = 1
vendor_device = 'xenserver'
stdvga = 1
sdl = 0
serial = 'pty'
usb = 1
usbdevice = 'tablet'
keymap = 'de'
vnc = 1
vnclisten = "0.0.0.0"
vncpasswd = ""

To be honest, I played around with the config file (trial and error, with some
documentation reading) until it seemed to work. I don't know the exact meaning
of some of these entries (e.g. sdl, kernel). For example, there was another
reply to my initial message regarding the pae option which I took out of the
config file without any noticable effect. The official documentation (e.g.
https://xenbits.xen.org/docs/unstable/man/xl.cfg.5.html#Direct-Kernel-Boot) is
not easy to understand for me in some parts. I would appreciate it if you could
explain (or point out the part in the documentation) if you would advise to
make further changes in the cfg?

> I also suggest you have a look at SPICE (see
> https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/SPICE_support_in_Xen and
> www.spice-space.org) and consider using it in place of vnc. At least on
> my system, it does a better job of mouse handling, USB passthrough and
> video performance generally.

Thank you for this hint, I will try this out next time!