Re: Xenconsole defaults to 80x20

On Sat, Mar 12, 2022 at 9:59 AM Andy Smith <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello,

On Thu, Mar 10, 2022 at 03:05:23PM +0000, Mike wrote:
> When I use xl console to connect to the console of a Xen Guest, the
> console defaults to 80x20.  One can manually adjust the console size
> using resize or TERM=, although it would be nice if this happened
> automatically, like when opening a xterm.
>
> Has anyone come across a mechanism to make this happen?

No, but I'd be interested to hear if you find out. Or if the Xen
project would take it as a feature request.

The other terminal-related one I always wondered about was if it
could be possible to remap "magic sysrq" (ctrl-o on Xen console).

This is all very well in dom0's console, but in guests I have users
that persist in using nano editor where ctrl-o is save file! So they
hit ctrl-o expecting to save the buffer, but seemingly nothing
happens (Xen is waiting for the magic sysrq command), so they try
ctrl-o again which comes across as magic sysrq command 'o' -
immediate power off!

So in guests, if ctrl-o can't be remapped I'd quite like to disable
it I think.

Other interesting console-related things that I think are already
possible but I lack knowledge in how to do it and would appreciate
some tips from anyone who does:

- Is it possible to log all console content for a guest without
  interfering with the ability to start / use "xl console"?

- Has anyone ever plumbed a guest's console through to a web
  terminal setup like xterm.js?

All these seem like good things to look into.  Would you mind collecting some of these and writing them as suggestions on xen-devel?

I can't promise anything, but it seems like at least a few of these should be reasonably straightforward to implement.

Thanks,
 -George