Re: [Minios-devel] Getting started with unikernel development

On 7 August 2015 at 10:10, Wei Liu <wei.liu2@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 06, 2015 at 07:18:55PM -0400, Carl Patenaude Poulin wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm an undergraduate student at McGill University, and a budding kernel
>> hacker. I'm starting my capstone project this coming September with two
>> friends.
>>
>> We're planning on building a Xen-based Rust unikernel. Our end-game is
>> something roughly similar to Mini-OS.
>
> Depending on what you want to experience, there are several options.
>
> If you want to focus on building Rust runtime as unikernel, you can have
> a look at rump kernel, which has POSIX interface that you can use to
> directly build Rust runtime. Rump kernel hides details of mini-os from
> you.
>
> If you want to have first hand experience with building language runtime
> on top of mini-os, you can have a look at HaLVM, or MirageOS.
>

>> I'm having trouble gathering the information needed to interface with
>> Xen. To help with this, I want to use Mini-OS as a reference design to
>
> Using mini-os as reference is going to give you a bumpy ride. Mini-os
> internal is a bit messy. Luckily it's still a relatively small project
> so it wouldn't be too hard to understand the code.

Len Maxwell (CC'd) has been working on stripping out quite a bit of
the code in Mini-OS, on this "mini-er" branch, to help with a Rust
port:

  https://github.com/lnmx/mini-os/tree/mini-er

--
Dr Thomas Leonard        http://roscidus.com/blog/
GPG: DA98 25AE CAD0 8975 7CDA  BD8E 0713 3F96 CA74 D8BA