Re: [Minios-devel] [Xen-devel] Moving Forward on XenSummit

> On Mar 24, 2020, at 8:07 PM, Rich Persaud <persaur@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On Mar 24, 2020, at 14:03, George Dunlap <george.dunlap@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> I wanted to let everyone know that the XenProject is moving forward with
>> plans to hold XenSummit this year, one way or another.
>>
>> There are two basic approaches the Advisory Board has been considering:
>> Postponing the even until later in the year, or holding a virtual event
>> during the same timeframe.  Additionally, if we hold a virtual event during
>> the same timeframe, the Board wants to keep the option open of having a
>> smaller, in-person event later in the year, if circumstances permit.
>
> Due to variation in scope/timing of geo and company restrictions on travel,
> could some speakers present remotely for the in-person event?
>
> Could the Xen Summit CFP be re-opened for those who can present virtually,
> who may not have submitted due to travel restrictions?

Hey Rich,

Thanks for the suggestion.  Opening up the CFP, redoing the schedule, and so on
is a reasonable amount of extra work for the LF people to do (it’s quite a bit
of machinery); and it wouldn’t really make sense to open up the actual CFP
until we know that it’s going to actually be a virtual event rather than a
physical one.

I think a better option would be to tell people to submit talks as design
sessions, once the design session website is up, perhaps marked with [TALK] in
the title or something.  Then a week beforehand we can consider whether it’s
worth moving some of the [TALK] slots to a “plenary-session” specific time, or
just leaving them to be scheduled with the rest of the design sessions.

Does that sound reasonable?

 -George