Re: ocaml-cohttp client

On 7 Apr 2012, at 18:53, Thomas Gazagnaire wrote:

> Just a side question:
>
>> - client/ (cohttp client, Lwt_unix)
>> - server/ (cohttp server, Lwt_unix)
>
> How do you plan to port that to Xen later ? Do you plan to reimplement lwt_io
> channels on Xen (or maybe that's already the case) ?

The current thinking is to try and expose as much of the protocol in an
iteratee style, so that the UNIX wrappers are essentially just configuration
setup.

In Lwt, this means using the UNIX/Xen wrappers to output Lwt_streams of input
and output buffers. These Lwt_streams are OS-independent, and so can live in
the protocol-independent bit.

The ocaml-workflow library is an experiment in this direction. The programmer
defines listeners and connectors, and the workflow engine deals with accepting
external I/O and mapping them into this world. It can also manufacture
shared-memory connections if the two communicating parties are on the same
host. There are some subtleties around making the shared memory transport
faster than TCP (due to the transmit buffers being more limited on a shmem
connection, versus a TCP connection). I'm just knocking up a logging library so
we can do 'tcptrace'-style windowing graphs to eliminate these bottlenecks by
visualising the performance profiles more easily.

So if someone programs to this workflow model, they won't know where their data
is actually coming from --- the full Xen stack, or just a UNIX container, and
the engine can take care of workload balancing.  Dave is currently refactoring
xenstored to be the name-service for ocaml-workflow (so it will even run
without Xen being installed, which is very useful for development!).

Note that cohttp is not structured fully in this model yet: the client, for
example, has too much protocol logic in it. Some of that needs to be moved into
the library so it isn't duplicated in the Xen backend.  This will also help the
compilation into Javascript.

-a