Re: oasis patch that adds an .nobj.o target

On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 10:55 AM, Richard Mortier
<Richard.Mortier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 29 Aug 2012, at 10:46, David Scott wrote:

>> I also think I'm beginning to get the hang of opam; 'switching' to
>> 'system' to install stuff needed by oasis and then 'switching' back to
>> the xen toolchain for actual builds.
>
> ... care to expand?
>
> :)
>
> (more seriously, this feels like the kind of documentation/detail that would
> be really handy to have recorded in the mirage blog/docs/tutorial/blah... not
> just the "here's how to switch" docs as exist now but "here's a specific
> example of when to switch and why")
>
> (apologies if that's already there and i've not been keeping up.)

I agree we'll need some decent tutorials to explain how to use this stuff.

I think this is what I did: (it was more of a random walk in reality
but here goes)

I've got a debian install with access to a lot of fairly stable ocaml
packages. When I wanted to use Anil's branch of oasis I switched back
to 'system' so that I could 'apt-get install' all the dependencies
quickly (assuming that opam hasn't got all the packages yet). I then
discovered that I needed one or two package upgrades but I just
quickly downloaded and manually built these, installing them in the
.opam directory. When I had Anil's oasis I used it to regenerate the
build scripts for the mirage xenstore code I'm working on. I then
switched back to '3.12...xen' to build and link the mirage xen kernel
-- this requires a slightly modified base system.

So for the website we could have a set of these:

<testimonial>As a busy ... insert description of what I actually do
... I like the way opam can keep separate stable code which I need for
everyday tasks, from the less stable and/or cutdown stuff that I need
for cutting-edge mirage xen development (ahem).</testimonial>

:-)

Cheers,
Dave

> --
> Cheers,
>
> R.
>

> This message and any attachment are intended solely for the addressee and may
> contain confidential information. If you have received this message in error,
> please send it back to me, and immediately delete it.   Please do not use,
> copy or disclose the information contained in this message or in any
> attachment.  Any views or opinions expressed by the author of this email do

Dave Scott