Re: oasis patch that adds an .nobj.o target

On 29 Aug 2012, at 02:55, Richard Mortier <Richard.Mortier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> On 29 Aug 2012, at 10:46, David Scott wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Thanks for that -- "ocamlbuild xen/sleep.xen" is working for me now
>> (modulo bugs which are obviously mine in origin)
>>
>> I also think I'm beginning to get the hang of opam; 'switching' to
>> 'system' to install stuff needed by oasis and then 'switching' back to
>> the xen toolchain for actual builds.
>
> ... care to expand?
>
> :)
>
> (more seriously, this feels like the kind of documentation/detail that would
> be really handy to have recorded in the mirage blog/docs/tutorial/blah... not
> just the "here's how to switch" docs as exist now but "here's a specific
> example of when to switch and why")
>
> (apologies if that's already there and i've not been keeping up.)

In a nutshell: you switch when you need a different toolchain, and you need a
different toolchain for different targets (unix, xen, kfreebsd, ns3,
javascript).  Each toolchain will have platform-specific hacks and restrictions
that may render it unable to target other binaries.

Now that I've got OASIS working, I'm going to ripple up the changes through to
mirage-www, and then we can get the blog updatable again. The joys of
self-hosting ;-)